(Here’s a recap of the service and the songs we chose over the past weekends at Howick Baptist Church. You can find links to the set lists of this church and many other churches each week at theworshipcommunity.com. You can also read through previous HBC service recaps here.)
Order of Service AM (22 May 2011)
(leader: Craig Starrenburg)
1. Come People of the Risen King
2. Praise to the Lord, The Almighty/Praise the Lord Ye Heavens Adore Him. A pretty smooth mashup.
3. All I Have is Christ
Welcome/Notices/Pastoral Prayer – Peter
Scripture Reading – Psalms 31
4. It Is Well (When Peace Like A Well)
5. May the Mind of Christ My Saviour
Message: All In the Family – 1 Tim 5:1-2 (Peter Somervell)
6. O Great God
Order of Service AM (29 May 2011)
(leader: William Chong)
Welcome – “We’re Howick Baptist Church” was how I introduced ourselves to visitors – subtle emphasis on HBC not being a building, but a family seeking to follow Christ together.
Scripture Reading – Psalm 33
1. Forever – Chris Tomlin. We haven’t sung this one for months, so was good to dust it off and resurrect it! “His love endures forever” is a common refrain in the Old Testament praise literature (e.g. 1 Chron 16:34, 2 Chron 5:13, Psalm 118). Some translations add the word ‘steadfast’ in there to emphasise that the intended meaning of the Hebrew word there, hesed, refers to a special, covenantal love between God and His people. We took this a tone lower from A to G Major to make it more comfortable for the church to sing.
2. Glorious and Mighty – Joe Sczebel, Todd Twining.
Announcements – Peter announced that HBC is getting involved with the Harvest Crusade by sending on-the-floor counsellors and putting our hand up for follow-up work. You can find out more about the free event here:
Scripture reading: Psalm 34
3. Taste and See – Stephen Altrogge. This was our first time with this song – from SGM’s Psalms CD (Glorious and Mighty is also from that one). We toned down the Jonas brothers treacle-poppiness quite a bit from the CD recording.
4. Psalm 62 (My Soul Finds Rest) – Aaron Keyes, Stuart Townend.
Message: 1 Tim 5:3-16 (Peter Somervell)
5. There Is A Hope – Stuart Townend.
Cheryl and I will be off to Impact Bible Conference this coming weekend – the theme this year isn’t terribly enthralling for me personally, but I am definitely looking forward to catching up and meeting with brothers and sisters at Riverbend and other churches around the country!
– William Chong