From a booklet by John PiperÂ (emphasis mine):
- Existing fetal homicide laws make a man guilty ofÂ manslaughter if he kills the baby in a motherâ€™s wombÂ (except in the case of abortion).
- Fetal surgery is performed on babies in the womb toÂ save them while another child the same age is beingÂ legally destroyed.
- Babies can sometimes survive on their own at 23 or 24Â weeks, but abortion is legal beyond this limit.
- Living on its own is not the criterion of human personhood, as we know from the use of respirators andÂ dialysis.
- Size is irrelevant to human personhood, as we knowÂ from the difference between a one-week-old and aÂ six-year-old.
- Developed reasoning powers are not the criterion ofÂ personhood, as we know from the capacities of three month-old babies.
- Infants in the womb are human beings scientificallyÂ by virtue of their genetic makeup.
- Ultrasound has given a stunning window on the wombÂ that shows the unborn at eight weeks sucking hisÂ thumb, recoiling from pricking, responding to sound.Â All the organs are present, the brain is functioning, theÂ heart is pumping, the liver is making blood cells, theÂ kidneys are cleaning fluids, and there is a fingerprint.Â Virtually all abortions happen later than this date.
- Justice dictates that when two legitimate rights conflict, the limitation of rights that does the least harm isÂ the most just. Bearing a child for adoption does lessÂ harm than killing him.
- Justice dictates that when either of two people mustÂ be inconvenienced or hurt to alleviate their unitedÂ predicament, the one who bore the greater responsibility for the predicament should bear more of theÂ inconvenience or hurt to alleviate it.
- Justice dictates that a person may not coerce harmÂ on another person by threatening voluntary harm onÂ themselves.
- The outcast and the disadvantaged and exploited areÂ to be cared for in a special way, especially those withÂ no voice of their own.
- What is happening in the womb is the unique personnurturing work of God, who alone has the right to giveÂ and take life.
- There are countless clinics that offer life and hope toÂ both mother and child (and father and parents), withÂ care of every kind, lovingly provided by people whoÂ will meet every need they can.
- Jesus Christ can forgive all sins, and will give all whoÂ trusts him the help they need to do everything thatÂ life requires.
– William Chong