In God’s providence,Â this year has turned out to be a real rollercoaster for our home church (Howick Baptist).Â In March, our Associate Pastor Joe FleenerÂ announced that after seeking much counsel and prayer, he had accepted a call to plant a church in Rolleston. I had the privilege of serving alongside him to helpÂ organiseÂ this year’sÂ Stand Conference, before his familyÂ made the move down at the end of July.
Just last week, our Senior Pastor Peter Somervell informed the church family thatÂ he had accepted a call to lead aÂ church in Richmond, Nelson (you can readÂ his announcement here).
This means in the space of less than a year, our church willÂ have lost two of ourÂ full-time teaching elders.
This will be the first church transition our family will be a part of, and it’s possibleÂ thatÂ our church will be without a Senior Pastor for much of next year.
If you could keep Howick Baptist Church in your prayers, it would be really appreciated.Â Specifically,Â please pray that:
- That we would trust in God alone, find refuge in the finished work of Jesus Christ, and walk by the Spirit each day
- Each ofÂ us wouldÂ grow in our love for Christ, His Gospel and His church during this time
- Peter, Francelle and their family would be able to “finish well” and be encouraged and ready to serve at their next church
- That amid the confusion and questions, we would speak with and aboutÂ one another in ways that would glorify God
- Our eldersÂ and staff would shepherd wisely and care forÂ the flock through the uncertain months ahead
- The members of HBC would continue to love and care for one another during theÂ time of transition,Â and that we would remain aÂ community that loves Jesus and proclaims His good news
- Even now, God would prepare the right person to become the next Senior Pastor, so that the message of graceÂ and peaceÂ through Jesus Christ may continue to be proclaimed at HBC.