(Hereâ€™s a recap of the service and the songs we chose this past weekend at Howick Baptist Church (You can find links to the set lists of this church and many other churches each week at theworshipcommunity.com). You can also read through previous HBC service recaps here.)
Order of Service (13th Feb)
(service leader: Craig Starrenburg)
1. Crown Him with Many Crowns – Matthew Bridges, Godfrey Thring
Announcements, Pastoral Prayer
Scripture reading – Psalms 7 and 8
Remembrance of the Lord’s Table
5. Speak O Lord – Keith Getty and Stuart Townend
Sermon: Looking at Leadership (1 Tim 3:1-7) – Peter Somervell
Peter continued the preaching series on 1 Timothy, having now reached the passage describing the qualifications of an elder.
We ran out of time for a closing song so church was dismissed following the message.
Order of Service (20th Feb)
(service leader: Peter Somervell)
In light of one of our worship leaders stepping down from the music team, the non-preaching pastor is now to lead one in four services. I learnt a lot from observing the way Peter led the church through the different songs with a mix of scripture, personal insight, and pastoral encouragement.
Joe’s message this week was a topical one recounting the implications of the development of the Bible, particularly the King James Version (first published 400 years ago). The songs therefore similarly looked back on the richness of 400 years’ worth of hymnody.
- Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise – Walter Chalmers Smith
- O God, Our Help In Ages Past – Isaac Watts
- In Christ Alone – Stuart Townend and Keith Getty
- What Wondrous Love Is This (item by Mandy Fleener)
- How Firm a Foundation – John Rippon
- Great is Thy Faithfulness – Thomas Chisholm