It was a joy over the weekend to serve at the first Edify Conference, hosted at our home church (Howick Baptist). We had a great time opening the Word and considering the importance of what we do when we sing together as the gathered church.
Cheryl and I were in Sydney for Emu Music’s Word in Song Conference last year, and in 2011 got to attend the WorshipGod conference hosted by Bob Kauflin. And after talking about the idea of a music / gathered worship conference on and off for years, it was great to finally have a go at hosting one in NZ ourselves in partnership with Rowan Hilsden and the teamÂ at Auckland EV.
It was also neatÂ to meet and get to knowÂ Greg Cooper, a songwriter and musician from Sydney who served on the Edify band on Friday night and led several workshops on Saturday. I personally learned a lot from observing and considering how skillfully he played the guitar – in a way that served the band and supported the churchÂ singing. I also loved his servant-hearted attitude and easy-going nature.
I enjoyedÂ playing guitar and singÂ in the Edify bands – once on Friday with a full band, and again on Saturday morning with a stripped-back, acoustic team. It was good to have a go at modelling congregational church music for different contexts.
A few people asked for the songs we sang over the weekend, so here is the set list below:
FRIDAY: CONCERT / EVENING OF WORD AND SONG
- 10,000 Reasons – Matt Redman (upbeat arrangement)
- Come Praise and Glorify – Sovereign Grace Music
- Holy, Holy, Holy – Reginald Heber
- Man of Sorrows – Hillsong
- This Life I Live – Michael Morrow
- Interview with Greg Cooper
- Songs and stories by Greg:
- Talk by Rowan Hilsden – Worship by the Book (Deuteronomy 12:1-14)
- Perfect But Painful – Greg Cooper
- All Glory Be To Christ – Dustin Kensrue
SATURDAY: MAIN SESSION 2
- Reading â€“ Psalm 62
- Psalm 62 (My Soul finds rest) – Aaron Keyes
- In Christ Alone – Stuart Townend
- Never Alone – Philip Percival + Simone Richardson
- Speak O Lord – Stuart Townend / Keith Getty
- Talk by Greg Cooper â€“ Our songs are proclaiming the Word (Colossians 3:16-17)
- All Creatures of our God and King (Sovereign Grace Music)